- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Lying Rear Delt Barbell Raise Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by loading up a barbell with the desired weight and placing it in front of a flat bench. Depending on the length of your arms, you may need to elevate the bench using blocks or steps.
- Grab the barbell and position yourself with your chest flat on the bench. Your feet can be straight out behind you or used for stability on the floor.
- Your arms should be fully extended below you, holding the bar with an overhand grip at around shoulder width apart. Look straight down at the ground. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your arms straight slowly raise the barbell up to shoulder height.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- This is an isolation exercise so it's important that you focus on strict technique to isolate the rear deltoids.
- Don't let the barbell touch the ground during the set, and don't raise the barbell above shoulder height.
- Keep the rep timing slow, and lower the weight slowly.
- And finally, keep your mid section tight and your back straight. Don't swing to assist moving the weight up.