Lying Cable Hamstring Curl Instructions
- Set up for the lying cable hamstring curl by elevating a flat bench on a block or step grabbing a decline bench. You can use a grounded flat bench, but elevating it gives you a better range of motion and more efficiently recruits the hamstrings.
- Place the bench in front of a cable pulley machine with the lowest end closet to the pulley.
- Attach an ankle cuff attachment to the low pulley and set the weight on the stack. If an ankle cuff is not available, you may find you can fit a pair of single handles around your ankles.
- Secure the ankle cuff to your ankles and lie face down on the bench and position yourself so that your knees are at the edge of the bench.
- Your legs should be fully extended and you can wrap your arms around the bench for stability. This is the starting position.
- Bending at the knees only slowly curl your ankles up towards your buttocks.
- Raise your ankles as far as comfortably possible or just past 90 degrees.
- Pause for a moment and then lower the weight in a controlled manner back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- You will want to keep you upper body and upper legs as still as possible throughout the movement. Using a weight that is too heavy for you may cause your body to jerk or swing which can lead to injury.
- You can have a training partner attach the ankle strap to your feet after you are set up for the movement.
- Focus on moving the weight with your hamstrings utilizing a full range of motion.