Adductors, Glutes, Hamstrings, Quads, Shoulders, Upper Back
Kneeling Dumbbell Hold to Stand Overview
The kneeling dumbbell hold to stand is a full body exercise that primarily targets the abs.
Very reminiscent of a Turkish get up, the kneeling dumbbell hold to stand requires one to stabilize their entire body with a weight overhead while trying to transition from the floor to a standing position.
Kneeling Dumbbell Hold to Stand Instructions
- Set up in a tall kneeling position with both knees down.
- Press a set of dumbbells overhead.
- Lift one leg into a half kneeling split squat and drive up through the whole foot.
- Stand up tall and then reverse the movement back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Kneeling Dumbbell Hold to Stand Tips
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward as the arms are overhead.
- Keep the ribcage down and don’t focus on arching the back or forcing the chest up excessively.
- Think about making your spine long and keeping a straight line from your head through knees.
- You can utilize this variation to teach someone the second half of a Turkish get up as it’s a very beneficial anti-extension movement.