Hands Overhead Ab Crunch Overview
The hands overhead ab crunch is an ab crunch variation that provides a little more resistance than its traditional counterpart.
By bringing your arms up overhead, you add just a little more bodyweight to the exercise than if you were to keep your arms crossed or behind the head.
Hands Overhead Ab Crunch Instructions
- Lay supine in a relaxed position with your knees up and hands overhead.
- Exhale and squeeze your abs as you curl your upper body off the floor.
- Once your abs are fully contracted and your upper back is off the floor, slowly lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Complete for the assigned number of repetitions.
Hands Overhead Ab Crunch Tips
- Exhale hard like you’re blowing out candles on a cake and hold the contraction for a second in order to improve mind muscle connection.
- If your lower back bothers you during this exercise, choose more anti extension and anti rotation based movements.
- Avoid putting the hands behind the head as this can lead to excess strain upon the neck.