Half Kneeling PVC Pec Mobilization Overview
The half-kneeling PVC pec mobilization is a warm-up exercise used to dynamically stretch the upper body. The stretch primarily increases mobility in the chest, but will also be felt in the shoulders.
Warming up adequately is an important part of any workout routine, and maintaining mobility can increase the overall effectiveness of certain exercises.
Half Kneeling PVC Pec Mobilization Instructions
- Setup in a half kneeling position with a PVC pipe in both hands while utilizing a very wide grip.
- Place your top hand of the up knee on top of the PVC pipe.
- Using your bottom hand, push the PVC pipe up and back into the palm of your top hand while keeping your shoulders square.
- Press back until you get a significant stretch in the pec of the arm overhead.
- Return back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Half Kneeling PVC Pec Mobilization Tips
- Always use the half kneeling variation first before progressing to the standing version as this version will help to limit excessive rotation within the lumbar spine by disassociating the pelvis (aka one leg in hip flexion while the other in hip extension).
Watch for a variety of compensations which typically present when someone has excessive tone within the pecs:
- The shoulders will rotate
- The spine will hyperextend
- The arm will internally rotate
- The humerus will pop forward in the socket (typically coupled with shoulder elevated and scapular anterior tilt)
- Ensure that you exhale as you rotate the PVC up and away from you, this will help to cue abdominal engage and prevent you from hyperextending. Also, this can help one to ensure that the scapular moves efficiently on the ribcage rather than just tilting the ribcage back.