Half Kneeling Banded External Rotation Overview
The half kneeling banded external rotation exercise is a great prehab exercise to perform to promote rotator cuff health.
Rotator cuffs are one of the more common injuries, especially as lifters get older. Performing prehab exercises such as half kneeling banded external rotation can help prevent injury and increase your longevity in the gym.
Half Kneeling Banded External Rotation Instructions
- Assume a half kneeling position with your elbow and shoulder flexed to 90 degrees laterally while holding a band with a pronated grip.
- Rotate directly at the shoulder while keeping the elbow bent until the forearm is perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly lower the handle back to the starting position under control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Half Kneeling Banded External Rotation Tips
- Squeeze the glute on the down leg and ensure the rib cage stays down by keeping abdominals engaged.
- Ensure the head doesn’t jut forward and the back doesn’t arch as you rotate at the shoulder.
- Experiment with a supinated (palms up), pronated (palms down), and neutral grip (palms facing) to see which feels best for your shoulder.