Abs, Chest, Shoulders
Eccentric Only Dip Overview
The eccentric only dip is a great way for people who cannot perform bodyweight dips to build the pushing (triceps, chest, shoulders) muscles required to execute them.
Eccentric Only Dip Instructions
- Step up onto the dip station (if possible) and position your hands on the handles with a neutral grip.
- Initiate the dip by unlocking the elbows and lower your body as slowly as possible until the forearms are almost parallel with the floor.
- Control the descent to parallel, then step onto the dip platform and repeat the process from your initial starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Eccentric Only Dip Tips
Technically there are two ways to perform dips - neither is wrong, just different movement with different purposes:
- Staying upright and keeping the elbows in close to increase tricep recruitment.
- Leaning forward with elbows wider to increase chest recruitment.
- If possible, keep the legs straight down while bracing the glutes and abs to limit excessive spinal movement.
- If no dip station with steps is available, position a box underneath the handles to boost yourself up to the bars.
- If no box is available, then jump into position.
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward during the descent.
- Ensure the elbows stay just short of lockout to keep tension on the triceps.
- Experiment with a false grip by wrapping the thumb over the bar as this may be more comfortable for some.