Dynamic Pigeon Overview
The dynamic pigeon drill is considered a form of dynamic stretching and is used to activate muscles of the lower body prior to leg workouts.
Performing the dynamic pigeon activates the glutes while also increasing the mobility of you hip flexors.
For those who struggle to feel their glutes during their lower body workouts, it’s important to stretch and activate them with an efficient warm up routine prior to beginning your working sets of heavy exercises.
Dynamic Pigeon Instructions
- Setup in a quadruped position with your hands directly beneath your shoulders, knees underneath your hips, and toes tucked.
- Straighten one leg and cross it behind your body at a 45 degree angle.
- Exhale, sit back into the flexed hip, and stretch the corresponding glute as the leg is externally rotated.
- Repeat on the opposite side for the desired number of repetitions.
Dynamic Pigeon Tips
- Keep your breathing calm and relaxed as you sit back into the hip.
- Experiment with rotating the leg to different positions in order to decrease or increase the stretch within the glutes.