- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull (Unilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Concentration Curl Overview
The concentration curl is a bodybuilding favorite for building biceps.
Some promote the concentration curl claiming it to be an exercise guaranteed to produce a bicep pump and build the mind muscle connection.
With that said, the slow tempo typically used during the concentration curl is great for building the biceps and since it is an unilateral exercise, it helps work each bicep equally.
Concentration Curl Instructions
- Select the desired weight from the rack, and sit in an upright position on a flat bench.
- Hinge forward and position your elbow near the base of your knee. Place your free hand on the other knee to stabilize yourself.
- Using a supinated (palms facing up) grip, take a deep breath and curl the dumbbell towards your shoulder.
- Once the bicep is fully shortened, slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions on both sides.
Concentration Curl Tips
- Maintain a slight bend in the elbow at the bottom of the movement in order to keep tension through the biceps.
- Using a slow eccentric (lowering portion) of the exercise can help to improve tension and mind muscle connection.