- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Close Grip Standing Barbell Curl Overview
The close grip barbell curl is a variation of the barbell curl and an exercise used to target the muscles of the biceps.
This variation will help hit the outer portion of the biceps. Just like any muscle group, when aesthetics are the goal, using several different angles and hand grips can lead to optimal muscle growth.
Barbell curls can be performed during your bicep workouts, upper body workouts, or full body workouts.
Close Grip Standing Barbell Curl Instructions
- Select the desired weight, load it onto the bar, and assume a narrower than shoulder width grip.
- Using a supinated (palms up) grip, take a deep breath and curl the barbell towards your shoulders.
- Once the biceps are fully shortened, slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Close Grip Standing Barbell Curl Tips
- Don’t allow the elbows to shift behind the body. Similarly, make sure the shoulder doesn’t shift forward in the socket as you lower the weight.
- Maintain a slight bend in the elbow at the bottom of the movement to keep tension through the biceps.
- Using a slow eccentric (lowering portion) of the exercise can help to improve tension and mind muscle connection.
- If you experience forearm or wrist discomfort while using a barbell, switch to an EZ curl bar or dumbbells.
This exercise is one of the oldest and most powerful exercises for a biceps muscle and this site explains the exercise in a very distinctive way ..I do bodybuilding 6 years ago and I am from one of the followers and lovers of this site ..i have a blog for natural bodybuilding exercises and tips.. and i'm explaning the exercises in a different easy way.. www.bodypumpers.com