- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Close Grip Push Up Instructions
- The close grip push up is a variation of the push up that focuses on hitting the triceps. Set up by placing your palms on the floor with your thumbs touching on another.
- Extend your legs back so that only your toes are touching the floor and your body is straight.
- Bend slightly at the elbows to keep tension in your triceps.
- Keeping your body straight, slowly lower yourself as far as possible without hitting the floor.
- Pause, and then push back up to the starting position without locking your elbows out.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Keep your elbows tucked in at your side throughout the set.
- Don't lock your elbows out. This takes the tension off the triceps and makes the exercise less effective.
- The close grip push up is a good finishing exercise or a second exercise in a superset.