- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Close Grip Press Behind-The-Neck Instructions
- Set up for the close grip behind the neck press by loading the appropriate weight onto an EZ bar or barbell and sitting on the end of a flat bench or a bench with a back rest.
- Grasp the bar with a close grip (just inside shoulder width) using an overhand grip (palms facing forward).
- Raise the bar straight above your head until your arms are nearly fully extended (keep a slight bend in your elbows). This is the starting position.
- Slowly lower the bar down behind your neck by bending at the elbows. The bar should come down as far as comfortably possible or when your forearms are around parallel to the floor.
- Slowly raise the bar back to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Close Grip Press Behind-The-Neck Tips
- Focus on moving the weight with your triceps, keeping control of the weight as you slowly lower and raise the bar.
- Keep your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.
- Keep your head up and eyes forward throughout the exercise.