Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Triceps
Clean Press Instructions
- Begin the clean and press by placing a barbell on the floor in front of you and standing with your shoulders around shoulder width apart.
- After loading the appropriate weight, make sure the bar is positioned over the tops of your feet at the mid-way point (half way between your toes and heel).
- From this position, bend down and grasp the bar with an overhand grip.
- Lower your buttocks to the ground until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure your knees do NOT track out over your toes when doing so.
- Look straight ahead and keep your back straight - make sure there is no arch in your lower back. You are now ready to begin the exercise.
- Explode upward through your legs and quickly snap the weight up to your chest level in one fluid movement.
- Continue the movement by pushing the weight straight above your head, using your shoulders and triceps to move the weight.
- Under strict control, lower the weight back to your chest and then back to the floor in the same fashion.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Clean and Press Tips:
- To avoid injury, correct form is paramount with this exercise! Practice good form before loading on the weight.
- Never arch your lower back! Any arch in the lower back is asking for injury.
- Lower the weight if you find that you are being pulled too far backwards when performing the clean and press.