- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Bench Push-Up Instructions
Bench push-ups are a great exercise for people who struggle with completing push-ups on the floor.
- Place your hands on the edge of a bench just beyond shoulder width apart.
- Hold your torso up at arm's length with your toes on the floor. This is your starting position.
- Slowly lower yourself downward until your chest nearly touches the bench.
- Squeeze your chest and slowly press your upper body back to the starting position. Pause briefly at this position. This is one rep.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Bench Push-Up Tips
- Bench push-ups are great for beginners, but they can also serve as a great exercise for finishing off an intense chest workout.
- The higher the bench is, the easier the push-ups become.
- Keep your body straight and your spine neutrally aligned.
- Keep your head up and use a full range of motion.