- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
45 Degree Lying Tricep Extension Instructions
This exercise is a variation of the lying tricep extension (or skull crusher).
- Sit on the end of a flat bench with a barbell on your thighs.
- Grip the barbell with an overhand (palms facing down) with your hands about shoulder width apart.
- Bring the bar up to your chest and lay down on your back.
- Extend your arms straight up above your chest.
- Keeping your arms straight, move the bar back to the position shown in the video above.
- Keeping your elbows fixed in place and not pointing out, slowly lower the bar until it is almost touching the top of your head or bench behind your head.
- Pause, and then slowly extend your arms back to the starting position.
- Do not lock your elbows out, and then repeat for desired reps.
45 Degree Lying Tricep Extension Tips
- Some lifters prefer this to the regular skull crusher because the triceps must work harder and tension is maintained.
- You must keep your elbows in at your sides throughout the set and don't let them move forward or back.
- Do not lock your elbows out at the top of the movement as this takes tension off the triceps.