- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternating Incline Hammer Curl Instructions
- Set up for the alternating incline hammer curl by setting the bench to a 30-45 degree incline and sitting a pair of dumbbells at the end. The lower the incline, the more challenging the exercise will be so 30 degrees is preferred.
- Sit on the bench, pick up the dumbbells, and lay back with your back flat on the padding.
- You should be holding the dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing toward your body).
- Take up the slack in your arms by slightly bending them, this will put tension on the biceps. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your elbows fixed, slowly curl up the dumbbell in your weakest arm.
- Squeeze the bicep at the top of the movement, and then slowly lower back it to the starting position.
- Repeat for the other arm, and then repeat for desired reps.
Alternating Incline Hammer Curl Tips
- As a general rule, always work the weakest side of your body first.
- Keep the elbows fixed throughout the set. Don't allow them to come forward when curling the weight up.