Alternate Decline Dumbbell Flys Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by placing a pair of dumbbells in front of a decline bench.
- Grasp each dumbbell and lay back on the decline bench with your feet secured in the padding.
- Both arms should be outstretched above your body with your palms facing inward. The dumbbells should not be touching. This is the starting position for the movement.
- Keeping your elbows fixed and slightly bent, and rotating at the shoulders only, lower the dumbbell in your left hand in a semi-circle motion as low as comfortably possible.
- Once the dumbbell is about level with your chest, squeeze the chest muscles and raise the dumbbell back up using the same path of motion (semi circle) as you did on the way down.
- Don't let the dumbbells touch, and then slowly lower the right one using the same motion as with the fist. This is one rep.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- This exercise should be done slowly, focusing on the stretch and contraction of the pectoral muscles.
- Don't pause or let the dumbbells touch at the top of the exercise.
- Use a full range of motion by lowering the dumbbells as far as comfortably possible.
- Always use a wide semi circle motion when doing this exercise - don't allow the dumbbells to come too close to the body.