- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternating Bent-Over Dumbbell Kickback Instructions
- Select the appropriate dumbbells and place them on the floor in front of you.
- Bending at the knees and keeping your back straight, squat down and pick up the dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing inward). Your feet should be around shoulder-width apart.
- Get into the starting position by keeping your back straight, bending slightly at the knees, and bending over at the waist. Your torso should almost be parallel to the floor.
- Tuck your upper arms close to your torso and bend at the elbows, forming a 90-degree angle with your upper arms and forearms. This is the starting position.
- Beginning with your left arm and moving only at the elbow, raise the dumbbell behind you until your arm is fully extended.
- Pause, and then lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat this movement with your right arm and then repeat for desired reps.
Alternating Bent-Over Dumbbell Kickback Tips
- Focus on moving the weight with your triceps, keeping control of the weight as you slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Keep your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.
- Keep your head up and your eyes forward throughout the exercise.