- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePull (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Abdominal Air Bike (AKA Bicycle) Overview
The abdominal air bike is probably the most feared abdominal movement from anyone who’s performed an at-home ab workout video.
The bicycle exercise targets the whole abdomen and places constant tension on the mid-section as you go through the motions on both sides.
This exercise is an advanced variation of a crunch.
It can be performed for timed sets or as a set with a fixed rep range.
Abdominal Air Bike (AKA Bicycle) Instructions
- Lay supine in a relaxed position with your arms behind your head and legs straight.
- Exhale as you raise one knee towards your face while driving the opposite elbow to the knee.
- Once your abs are fully contracted, slowly lower yourself back to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
- Complete for the assigned number of repetitions.
Abdominal Air Bike (AKA Bicycle) Tips
- Exhale hard like you’re blowing out candles on a cake and hold the contraction for a second in order to improve mind muscle connection.
- If your lower back bothers you during this exercise, choose more anti extension and anti rotation based movements.
- Avoid putting the hands behind the head as this can lead to excess strain upon the neck.