90/90 Piriformis Stretch Overview
The 90/90 piriformis stretch is a form of static stretching used to warm up the muscles of the glutes.
Warming up the glutes and improving mobility is important for nearly every leg exercise, as well as alleviating gluteal muscle tightness which can lead to postural imbalances.
90/90 Piriformis Stretch Instructions
- In a seated position keep the knees up, feet flat, and upper body supported with your hands.
- Rotate both legs to the floor while keeping the knees at 90 degrees.
- Lean forward over the knee until you feel a stretch in the glute, then rotate both legs in the opposite direction while keeping the feet on the floor.
- Repeat on the opposite leg for the desired time or number of repetitions.
90/90 Piriformis Stretch Tips
- Never stretch to the point of pain or discomfort which causes you to hold your breath. Holding the breath increases global tension and will only work against the effects of the stretch at hand.
- Try to keep the low back on the floor and get all of the range of motion from your hips.
- Lean over the leg slowly and experiment with different positions (rounded spine versus chest up) to move through different ranges of motion.