Straight Bar Tricep Extension Instructions
- Attach a straight bar to a cable stack as high as possible and assume a standing position.
- Grasp the straight bar with a pronated grip (palms facing down) and lean forward slightly by hinging at the hips.
- Initiate the movement by extending the elbows and flexing the triceps.
- Pull the handle downward until the elbows are almost locked out and then slowly lower under control back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Straight Bar Tricep Extension Tips
- If you want to keep more tension in the triceps, don’t lock the elbows out entirely.
- Imagine there’s a screw running through your elbow and don’t allow them to move in front of the body as you extend at the bottom of the movement.
- Experiment with static elbow positioning throughout the lift - some may find that they get a better stretch in the bottom portion of the movement by allowing their elbows to drift behind the body during the eccentric portion of the movement (similar to a drag curl).
- Ensure the shoulder blades don’t tilt forward as you extend the elbows.